Etiquettes of the Day of Eid
THE JOYOUS DAY OF EID UL FITR
Islam, being a complete way of life, has laid out a very balanced approach with regards to our day to day life. Just as it has guided us on matters relating to belief and worship, that form the core of religion, it has also stipulated days of celebration and merriment for us. However, since Islam aims at keeping every individual focused towards its values, it has given guidelines and instructions to that are to be followed on these days of celebration as well. This makes Islam stand out amongst the other faiths; a day of celebration too becomes a form of worship!
In Islam, the concept of celebration is based on a religious achievement. Eid al-Fitr is celebrated as we accomplish fasting in Ramadhan and attain a degree of closeness to Allah Ta’ala.
The Companion Anas (Allah be pleased with him) said, “The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) migrated to the city of Medina and saw the people celebrating two days of festivities. He said, ‘What are these two days?’ The people of Medina replied, ‘They were days of festivities in the pre-Islamic era (jahaliyya).’ Then he said, ‘Verily Allah has replaced these two days with (what) is better for you—the day of Adha and the day of Fitr.’” [Abu Dawud]
Eid, in Islam, is a day of joy, thanksgiving, worship, brotherhood, solidarity, and morality. A Muslim should take the advantage of this day to bring himself nearer to Allah, Most High.
EID PRAYER AND KHUTBAH
The Eid Salah is Wajib (Compulsory) on those whom Jumu`ah Salah is Wajib.
The Khutbah of Eid differs from the Khutbah of Jumu`ah in two ways:
Firstly, the Jumu`ah Khutbah is a condition for the validity of Jumu`ah prayer whereas the Khutbah of Eid Salaah is Sunnah and it is not a condition for the validity of Eid Salah.
Secondly, the Jumu`ah Khutbah will be delivered prior to the Salaah while the Khutbah of Eid salaah will be delivered after the Salaah.
SUNNATS AND MUSTAHAB (DESIRABLE) ACTS OF EID
- To wake up early and engage in worship (Tahajjud).
- To pray the Fajr with Jamaat in the masjid.
- It is Sunnah to eat something sweet (preferably dates in amounts of odd numbers) before proceeding for Eid al-Fitr Salah.
- To perform Ghusl (bath). The Ghusl should preferably be performed between sunrise and the Eid prayer.
- To apply fragrance.
- To brush the teeth using Miswak
- To wear best clothes (or new clothes). With regard to women, they should avoid adorning themselves when they go out for Eid, because they are forbidden to show off their adornments to non-mahram men. It is also haraam for a woman who wants to go out to put on perfume or to expose men to temptation, because they are only going out for the purpose of worship.
- To give Sadaqah Fitr on Eid al-Fitr (before proceeding for the prayer)
- To walk to the place of prayer if possible.
- To go to the place of prayer as early as possible and gain the reward of observing the prayer in the first row.
- It is disliked to perform supererogatory (nafl) prayers before the Eid Salaah in the Eid prayer area or one’s house.
- To go to the place of prayer via one route and to return via another route.
- To express happiness by displaying obedience and gratitude to Allah.
- To smile at meeting a fellow believer
- Offer charity
- It is Sunnah Muakkadah for the place of Eid Salah to be in an (Eid Gah) plain field.
- To continuously read the Takbir at-Tashriq from home till the commencement of the actual Eid Salah.
The words of the Takbīr are:
اَللهُ أكْبَرُ اَللهُ أكْبَرُ، لاَ إِلهَ إِلاَّ اللهُ وَاللهُ أكْبَرُ، اَللهُ أكْبَرُ وَلِلّهِ الْحَمْد
Transliteration: ‘Allāhu Akbar Allāhu Akbar, Lā Ilāha Illallāhu Wallāhu Akbar Allāhu Akbar Wa Lillāhi-al-Hamd.’
EXTENDING EID GREETINGS ON EID DAY
On the day of Eid one should extend greetings and good wishes. It is advisable to greet with the following words:
تقبل الله منا ومنكم
Transliteration: Taqabbalallahu minna wa minkum
Translation: May Allah accept from us and you
It is an innovation to embrace each other 3 times after the Eid Salah if one regards it to be necessary.
Darul Ifta Jaamia Madinatul Uloom