When I was much younger I broke my fast by eating deliberately on three occasions. Do I have to do Kaffarah for each fast that I broke?
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
One Kaffarah will suffice for all the fast that was deliberately broken. Kaffarah is an atonement for the deliberate invalidation of a fast of Ramadhan without a valid Shar’ee reason. It entails fasting sixty consecutive days without any interruption. In addition to the Kaffarah, Qadha is also necessary for each fast that was broken.
If a person is unable to fast due to a valid Shar’ee reason then he may adopt anyone of the following:
(a) Feed sixty poor people their fill morning and evening. NB: It is not a condition that they all be gathered collectively.
(b) Feed a person his fill morning and evening for sixty days (or two poor persons thirty days and so forth)
(3) Give sixty poor people 1.6kg of wheat, flour etc. or its value in cash. NB: Any other food items may be given with the condition that its value is not be less than the value 1.6kg of wheat
NB: Kafarah will only be necessary if the following conditions existed:
(1) The fast deliberately broken was the fast of Ramadhan.
(2) The person was Baligh (ritually mature).
(3) His intention for fasting that day was made prior to the break of dawn.
(4) The reason for breaking the fast was not due to any legitimate Shar’ee reason.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Mufti Kaleem Muhammad
Darul Iftaa, Jaamia Madinatul Uloom (Trinidad)